- With a single chlamydia infection, there is a 25% chance of sterility for women. With a second infection, there is a 50% chance. And a third infection almost guarantees sterility, due to PID (pelvic inflammatory disease).
- Infertility as a result of PID accounts for 50-80% of the infertility in Africa.
- Black women in 2002 accounted for 67% of the U.S. AIDS cases among women.
- The single biggest driver of heterosexual spread of AIDS to black women is the incarceration of black men.
- Despite more discussions about STDs and safer sex after the discovery of HIV, the number of people infected with all STDs continues to grow.
- Women who have sex with other women can still become infected with STDs and need to have yearly Pap smears as a screening test for cervical cancer.
- Each year, 40,000 Americans are infected with the most serious STD, HIV/AIDS.
- While most STDs can be accurately tested soon after exposure, HIV should be tested for most accurate results about six months after possible exposure.
- STIs/STDs cannot be acquired in a swimming or public bathroom (unless you have sex in the pool or on the toilet). Most STIs/STDs are spread only through direct genital contact and begin to die immediately after they leave the infected person.
- Chancroid (“soft chancre”) is highly contagious but usually curable STI/STD. Unlike a syphilis chancre that is hard or rubbery, a chancroid is soft to the touch. Ulcers are painful in men, but women may not be aware of them. Rare in the Western world, the disease can be easily confused with syphilis or herpes.
(Source: facts.randomhistory.com, via thekailife)
valthepanda likes this
fairiesandrainbows reblogged this from fuckyeahsexeducation
clocksandmapss likes this
Show more notes